I’ve been surprised as I explore the idea of the Personal Network that there is so little focussed information.
For example, a search on Google (UK version) for “Personal Network” gives very
…..Thank you for visiting. My blog has moved. You can find the rest of this post by clicking here.
few relevant links on the first page.
A Wikipedia entry – that seems to be by an East European, Pawel Zorzan – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_Network
A very good PDF outlining a course given in the US to young students by bonner.org (it’s great that someone is already teaching the value of a Personal Network to youngsters) – http://www.bonner.org/resources/…pdf/BonCurBldgPersonalNetwk.pdf
A blog entry from 2007 by Stephen Downes from Canada (why is all the cool stuff on blogging, networking, etc from Canada these days??) – http://halfanhour.blogspot.com/2007/11/personal-network-effect.html
Stephen’s entry pointed me in the direction of Robin Dunbar – and his book “How Many Friends Does One Person Need?: Dunbar’s Number and Other Evolutionary Quirks”. Robin came up with the idea that 150 is the “magic number” for personal connections. He’s on my summer reading list … so more soon!
Anyway, if you do a Google search of “Social Networks” there is a very different set of results (lots of competing banners, side bar adverts and good links). If you’ve read more of this blog – then you know that I feel that Personal Networks are a significant part of your “net worth” – so why so little focus compared to the “spin of the hour” (social networks!)??
PLEASE NOTE - my website has moved to http://www.philobrien.com. Please continue your journey there!. Best wishes. Phil
- RT @eddie_keogh: Sunday morning football bit.ly/2mffpyO #Canon via @CanonProNetwork. See the full set at eddie-keogh.pixelrights.com/albums/cB8wMb/… 2 weeks ago
- Having fun at Samsung 837 - 'hū: spectrum of being' portrait, captured on a Galaxy S7 by Carlos Serrao, using my o… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 month ago
- RT @adamsconsulting: The difference between knowledge, experience and creativity. :) #life https://t.co/1rFBC7CUOH 1 month ago
- Using one of your finest journalist's obituary @dailytelegraph to try to sell premium subscriptions!! Really... https://t.co/tzKaeVaMCm 2 months ago
- Personal Space – juggling closeness and privacy
- Finding WOW – the Toxteth Riots & Wimbledon Photographers
- Where you live – creativity lessons from Bono & Bowie
- I met a man on the internet….
- Replacing half your friends every 7 years – and the tattoo consequences
- Small Worlds, Connecting the Dots and Dark Side of the Moon
- Reflexivity – I liked the word so much, I bought the domain name!
- “I’d Like to See the Manager”
- How Technology Fosters Strong Ties – a guest post by Joel D. Canfield
- Nepotism and Dunbar’s Number